All about NEAT Academy Trust
Walkergate Community School is part of NEAT Academy Trust.
Please watch our Welcome to NEAT video on the NEAT Academy Trust YouTube channel.
NEAT was set up as a multi-academy trust (MAT) in April 2017. A MAT is a single organisation set up as a strategic collaboration to improve and maintain high educational standards across a number of schools. Each school within a MAT is an academy. You can find out more about our trust on our NEAT website.
Our MAT is mixed because it includes schools with and without a religious character. We work closely with the Newcastle Diocesan Education Board about the governance of the trust and the performance of our Church of England school.
NEAT Academy Trust, like all MATs, is a not-for-profit charitable company limited by guarantee. We also own a trading subsidiary company, NEAT Active Limited, which runs the evening and weekend provision at Benfield Sports Centre for the benefit of the local community.
We are guided by our common purpose – what is important to us - to nurture, educate, achieve and transform - and we are responsible to our stakeholders:
- Children, young people and their families
- Employees and volunteers
- The communities in which we work
- The Regional Schools Commissioner and the Education and Skills Funding Agency
Our strategic plan sets out our vision and strategic aims. The plan was developed with the involvement of directors, local governors, senior leaders and staff across the trust.
Collaboration is at the heart of NEAT’s approach and we aim that individuals at all levels of the trust can contribute and have impact beyond one individual school for the benefit of all children. Members, directors, local governors and staff join in the dialogue of working together as one trust.
We work with partners outside of our MAT:
- Newcastle local authority – we work with the Newcastle Promise Board to support “A city where we all share responsibility for providing the best educational opportunities for all our children and young people”. NEAT and its academies continue to buy a range of support services through service level agreements with the City Council
- as Newcastle Research School at Walkergate we work with other schools in our network to help them to make better use of evidence to inform their teaching and learning.
In addition to school improvement support from the CEO and external advisers, the NEAT Central Team provides business support to our academies in finance and procurement, HR, corporate governance, information governance, communication and project management. NEAT also provides trust-wide family support, attendance and counselling support to enable pupils to thrive and learn at school.
NEAT's registered office is at Heaton Centre, Trewhitt Road, Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 5DY, telephone 0191 2284090.