Attendance in Walkergate Community School
96% and above is considered 'GOOD' attendance - we would like 100%
Walkergate Community School values good attendance and punctuality because every child has a legal right to an education. The attendance target for every child is 96%.
What should Parents/Carers do?
- Telephone the school on the first day of your child’s absence by 9.30am to let us know why your child is not in school, advise school daily of any ongoing absence. The school office is open from 7am.
- APPOINTMENTS - you should aim to make routine appointments out of school time (during holidays) but if additional appointment are required then please make them out of school hours whenever possible. For appointments during school time - please show the appointment card to school BEFORE taking them. Your child is only allowed time off school to attend the appointment. They should come to school before if possible and return to school as soon as possible after the appointment. Appointments not supported by an appointment card will be marked as unauthorised.
- HOLIDAYS - if you are planning a holiday in term time, please complete a holiday form and hand in to school office. Forms can be found in the Parent section of the website. Holidays will be recorded as unauthorised absences. You may be at risk of legal action or a fixed penalty notice.
Some interesting facts on attendance and punctuality:
- 90% attendance means your child has missed 4 whole weeks of school which is 100 hours of lessons
- A two week holiday in term time will reduce your child's attendance to less than 95%
- Arriving 5 minutes late every day adds up to 3 days lost in a year
- Arriving 15 minutes late every day is equal to 2 weeks lost in a year
Children will be rewarded for good or better attendance. We reward 96%+, 98%+ and 100% attendance at various times throughout the year. Prizes have included:
- NUFC match tickets
- Shopping Vouchers
- Trips to Alnwick Gardens
- Film and popcorn in school
- Class attendance league - prize for best class at end of year