Meet the team
Mrs Jane Thomas
Family Support Workerjane.firstname.lastname@example.org
I'm Jane Thomas, Walkergate Community School's Child and Family Support Worker. I work full time and I have been in post since December 2013.
I am based in the Welfare Room in school, this room is used by myself and Mr Garnett.
I support families in many different ways:
* I listen and appreciate parent issues and offer suggestions, tips and advice for individuals and families. I also sign post families to other services available within the Newcastle area.
* I support children on a 1:1 basis listening and working with them in different ways.
* I support families through a programme of home visiting.
* I have an open door policy to the Welfare Room providing a safe place for children to be open about any problems/issues they need to talk about.
* I can support by being available to attend meetings with other agencies.
* I promote good school attendance with children and parents.
My background has predominantly been in supporting families over the last 10 years, my earliest support job was working in a young mums unit supporting independency and delivering parenting programmes to enable young families to remain together, I then moved on to work in children's homes supporting young people from entering the children's home system to promoting independence and moving into their own homes with outreach support. I then was successful in managing my own children's home with an "outstanding" Ofsted Report. To add to my professional experience I am a mum to two gorgeous children, this has provided me with more experience than I could possibly gain through employment or training courses. :-)
Mr Matt Garnett
Behaviour and Wefare Officermatthew.email@example.com
I'm Matt Garnett, Walkergate Community School's Behaviour & Welfare Officer. I work full time and I have been in post since October 2014. My role is to ensure children are safe and enjoy positive experiences at school. I use a restorative approach to support children, giving them insight into issues and how to avoid them in the future.
I am based in the Welfare Room in school, this room is used by myself and Mrs Thomas
Miss Michelle Milner
Parent Support Advisormichelle.firstname.lastname@example.org
I have worked in an educational environment since completing my degree in sport studies in 2006. I began working as a teaching assistant in secondary schools for two years, until I moved into Primary settings. During my time as a teaching assistant I have achieved my Higher Level Teaching Assistant qualification, Read Write inc model school status and an university accreditation in Numeracy intervention.
My role at Walkergate is to support parents/ carers and your children to gain as much as possible from school life. I am based at the Early Years site but also work from the main school site. Please feel free to come and speak to me if there is anything I can help you with, my door is always open.